Monday, January 4, 2010

How to Leave a WarCraft Guild

For anyone who was googling for the command to leave a guild and accidentally ended up here, it's as simple as typing /gquit. If it were possible, after this weekend I would have earned this achievement:



Unless you play this game with a bunch of people in real life, any time you guild you are aligning yourself with the goals and ideals of people who you know nothing about. Kids are such strange little aliens that the minute they find someone with some similar interests they go crazy over it and dive right in. For us adults, it's not that easy.

The older you get, the more you know about who you are and the less likely you are to want to compromise that for other people. It gets harder to find guilds, and once in a guild, especially hard to tolerate people indefinitely, especially if you devote a lot of hours to the game.

The most recent guild I was in was almost perfect. I like to play casually and occasionally group for things like heroics or (rarely) raids and RP things. Mostly, the game gives me exactly what I need which is a few hours of relaxation. When I add in things that someone else needs to do in-game, it draws away from the relaxation. I'm a great raid healer and not bad as a caster DPS, but the time involved - the uninterrupted time - is a detriment from relaxation because it comes at the expense of time I spend with my wife and kids.

This guild didn't raid, and we occasionally grouped for a heroic or some battlegrounds, but that was it. That was the fun part. The less than fun parts - the couple I knew best pretty much stopped playing, and the GM hadn't logged in for six days. Add to it that I didn't have bank access and it started to become an impediment to my playstyle instead of an addition. I made a few rumblings, people chatted about possibly doing something, and finally last night I yanked my characters out of the guild. There was no drama because no one was logged in (like usual).

So for now the LFG tool is my guild leader. It finds me groups, it doesn't restrict my access, it doesn't log in drunk or break promises, it is always fair with participation and loot rolls, and it's on 24 hours a day. Perfect. That's one guild that I might never quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment