Monday, March 29, 2010

One Syllable to Rule Them All

When you're thinking about naming your character, be careful and consider this: Unless your name is 5 characters or under, your guildmates will probably forever refer to you by the first syllable in your name.

I made the character Diagnose (my rogue) to take advantage of the conjunction with "the Patient" title. The guild I was in started referring to me as "Dia" instead of Diagnose, so when it came time to create an alt, rather than confuse everyone, I chose a new name that started with Dia - Diagram. If I'd planned ahead I would have made the priest Diagnose and the rogue Diagram, but whatever. Every time I make a character I think that it might end up being the most important character I have, otherwise I probably won't finish getting to 80 with it.

So if I follow the current pattern, I found a list of other words that start with Dia. Diabolic would make a nice warlock name, and Diamond would make a good tank. You can be pretty sure that I won't have a character named Diarrhea though.

So even though Putrescence sounds like a fun name to have, don't be surprised if down the line everyone in the guild starts referring to you as "Poo."

1 comment:

  1. After I quit laughing, it occurred to me that in an Eastern culture, "Pu" is a nice name for a character to have. In Daoism, a "Pu" is also called "the uncarved block". It refers to an archetype of someone who embodies perfection something without understanding or being able to explain to others how they do it.

    As I understand it, the sense of the word is of a solid, undecomposable whole. Someone or something that must be taken only as a complete entity.

    ReplyDelete